Picture

Picture

Friday, February 24, 2012

Her Jacket Makes The Whole Card

This is for one of my best friends. The same one I made Teacher Margaret for. Her birthday is March 2nd and she is a Teacher. I used Bugaboo Stamps Stella Calendar Months - September. I followed the sketch at the Catch the Bug challenge blog but I decided to use my Silhouette to cut out the oval and place my Stella digi right inside the card. I make this sound easy, it was not. My cutting mats are not lined up with the grid in my Silhouette program so cutting the oval right out of the card was a lot of trial and error (and cards). Then I printed Stella right onto my card by running the card taped to a piece of computer paper through the printer. Again it was lined up in my Silhouette program but was just a little off when it came out of the printer. Might have been the actual folding of the card that changed it but on the screen Stella was completely visible in the oval. I used a Silhouette pattern to create the apple patterned paper 1/4" smaller than my card. Since I couldn't use the Silhouette to cut an oval out of the patterned paper (I had no idea how to line it up properly), I traced the oval on the card and hand cut it out of the inside of the patterned paper. The green paper with the sentiment was also printed from the Silhoeutte program. Again I traced the oval and handcut it out then cut right down the middle both ways so that I just had to add the top and bottom corners. Used the iRock to set the black Glamrocks in the opposite corners. I colored Stella with my EK Success pencil crayon/Zig markers combo and added Glossy Accents to her glasses and the apple. Stella also got a pair of rose colored glasses. Every Teacher wears them you know ;o) I wrote on the chalkboard with a white gel pen and paper pieced Stella's skirt and jacket. The fact that the jacket looks like it was made out of upholstery fabric made this whole card for me. LOVE how that turned out!
My lessons learned: when I made my oval so big it weakened the narrow outside of the card. Then when I applied the patterned paper to the front it created a crease there. So I added a piece of yellow cardstock on the inside as a stabilizer. Next time I will not make the oval as big.
I would like to share my card at:
Paper Sundaes birthdays, closes Feb. 25,
The Pink Elephant printing, closes Feb. 26,
Sassy Cheryl's no embossing, closes Feb. 28,
The Poodles Parlour female, closes Feb. 28,
Simon Says 3 different papers, closes Feb. 29,
Craft Your Days Away paper piecing, closes Mar. 1,
The Sisterhood of Crafters use a digi, closes Mar. 4

9 comments:

sammi said...

Fabulous! Stella is lookin' so stylish in that awesome jacket! Well done! Thanks so much for sharing your creation with us in our “sketch” challenge at Catch The Bug! Good Luck! ~~Sammibug~~ Guest Designer For Bugaboo Stamps

Tammy Miller said...

Very pretty card thanks so much for joining our latest challenge I hope to see you again very soon!

Jen Leeflang said...

Love the idea!
I love your interpretation of the sketch!Thanks for joining us on Bugaboo's Catch the Bug Sketch Challenge this week. Good luck in the draw! I look forward to your entry in the next challenge.
luv'n huggz
Jen Leeflang
Bugaboo DT

Darlene said...

CUTE! Love the design! Thanks so much for joining us at The Sisterhood ‘USING DIGIS’ challenge and please come back again soon!
Darlene
one of the 'Sistahs'
DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS

Sassy Cheryl said...

Adorable card. LOVE the sentiment. Too funny!
Thanks for playing in the No Embossing challenge this week at Sassy Cheryl's. So glad you could join us!

Sheri Gilson said...

What a fun card!! Thanks for playing along with us at The Pink Elephant this week!!
~Sheri

jkreucher said...

What a fun card! love the sentiment~ such a hoot!
Thanks for joining us in the Sassy Cheryl challenge this week!
Judy

Danderella said...

Great card, I'm sure your friend will love it. Thanks for playing in Paper Sundaes Birthday Challenge last week!

Danielle

Mandy said...

Fabulous card, Stella always makes me chuckle.
Thanks for joining us at Simon Says Stamp
hugs Mandy xx