Picture

Picture

Friday, February 3, 2012

A Birthday Card Challenge

This was a hard one. This is for Reverend John's birthday (Feb. 6). I wanted a religious reference but with a sense of humor (because he and I both have one). One of the challenges was to make it masculine. This was harder because he doesn't hunt or fish or play sports and that's what you find when you are looking for images for a masculine birthday card. And this is one time Gus just wouldn't work. I liked the play on words with the shell/shall. I was surprised to learn that "this too shall pass" is not a quote from the Bible. I always just assumed it was. So I went looking for turtle images. Turned out I had one, this guy was a past freebie from Little Scraps of Heaven. I love their images because I can import them into my Silhouette as a cut file. I remember the days when I had to cut the pieces out by hand, this is soooo much easier. I followed the sketch from the Stella Says Sketch challenge at Bugaboo, I just flipped it.

I used seashell patterned paper cut a 1/4" smaller than my card as my base. I printed my own sentiment onto light blue cardstock that I had cut out using a scalloped frame image from my Silhouette. The waves ribbon is also a Silhouette image and I cut them out of my brightest blue cardstock. Sand patterned paper made the base for my turtle. I used a glittery green cardstock (the same glittery green cardstock as the impossible to get a good picture of glittery red cardstock in my earlier Valentine's) for my turtle. I traced around each piece with my green Zig marker to add a little definition. My printer added the Happy Birthday to the small heart. I added iRock gemstones to the sentiment 'shell' and turtle shell. Put some faux stitching around both.
My lessons learned: he's cute, but not very masculine. Thank goodness I have 2 little girls (Kaylee gets to decorate the inside, and Abby gets to do the envelope) so I think it still works.
Those 2 circles on either side of Abby's head are her ears.....so not an exact likeness ;o)
I would like to share my card at:
Dream Valley Challenges use an animal, closes Feb. 5,
Digistamps4Joy for the boys, closes Feb. 8,
Simon Says animal antics, closes Feb. 8

7 comments:

Paul said...

What a great job you did. Thanks so much for joining in with us this week for our Stella Says Sketch Challengeat Catch The Bug with Bugaboo Stamps and making it a success.
TFS
Paul
Crafty Blogocks
DT Member for Catch The Bug

Jen Leeflang said...

How cute!
I love the way you have interpreted the sketch. Thanks for entering our Stella Says Sketch #103 challenge.
luv'n huggz
Jen Leeglang
BUGABOO DT

Scrappy Scatty said...

What a lovely card Thank you for joining us at Digistamps 4 Joy this fortnight
Love Jan
xx

Ellis said...

Fantastic cards! =)
Thanks for joining us at Digistamps4joy! =)
Hugs, Elenor DT

Jen Leeflang said...

Thanks so much for entering our "one for the boys" challenge at Digistamps 4 Joy. We hope to see you again next time. Good luck in the draw.
luv'n huggz
jen Leeflang
DS4J DT Lead

Lora said...

Hi Barb, I have been trying to email you about the guest designer spot at Digital Tuesday but my mails keep being returned for some reason, so thought I would just comment on your blog instead so you know that I haven't forgotten about you :)
I have put you down for 13th March-3rd April for your guest design weeks. Please can you email me and let me know if that's ok for you, and I will let you know all the challenge themes etc.
Hopefully by then I will be able to email you lol.
Lora x

Star said...

Adorable! Thanks for playing along with us at Digistamps 4 Joy!!

xx Star