Picture

Picture

Friday, August 24, 2012

Winged Things

The challenge this fortnight at The Poodles Parlour is winged things. I'd like to start by sharing some photos with you of a few of the "winged things" around here. I am extremely blessed to be able to step out my front door and take these photos. I just have a regular Kodak digital camera but my photos have won prizes at our City Exhibition/Fair. I thought you might be interested in seeing a few too.













This picture is of our Canadian Armed Forces Snowbirds. They are a demonstration flight team and their Base is just outside of Moose Jaw. Coincidentally so are we. We get frequent "air shows"!
Sorry about the picture heavy post, I do hope you enjoyed them! This brings me to my card. I have been feeling like I have been stuck in a rut lately. I know my scrapbooking mojo is MIA and I've been feeling like all I use on my cards lately are primary colors. Now I get that I have an almost 5 year old and a 2 year old so primary colors are the stage we're at...but I see so many beautiful cards out there done with muted colors and stains and I've been so wanting to do something like that. Then I chose a lovely ladybug image from The Digi Garden (one of our sponsors) and well you know what they say about the best laid plans :o)
The frame for my digi is a Silhouette image. I imported my digi into my Silhouette and placed it so that the ladybug antennae stuck out the top. Then I used the print and cut feature to print my image. I selected the 'cut edge' setting to cut them out. The banner is an Echo Park Country Drive Silhouette image. I filled the background with the black and white polka dot pattern and then used the advanced fill settings to adjust the pattern scale. The writing seemed lost on the busy background so I upped the line thickness in the line style settings. The ladybug is an Echo Park Silhouette image that I put together and colored in using the Fill Color and Line Color settings. I also had to adjust the line thickness for some of its parts too so that they would show up when I resized it to teeny tiny. I used the print and cut feature for my banner. I colored my image using PrismaColor pencils. Her face is paper pieced because I first tried to color it using my Copic E11. I desperately need 2 skin colored Copics for that to work. Highlights with a white gel pen and some faux stitching finish off my frame. Flowers and a sheer black ribbon bow round out my embellishments. I used red Stickles to trim out the bow. Ask me how much fun that was?!? Pretty messy really, especially waiting for it to dry.
Thank-you so much for stopping by and though I know it was a long post today there are lots of rewards. Our Winged Things challenge has 2 sponsors, Di's Digi Downloads and The Digi Garden. And you can link up 3 creations for 3 chances to win! I look forward to visiting you all!

I would like to share my card at:
Divas By Design anything goes, closes Aug. 29,
Word Art Wednesday encouraging/uplifting sentiment, closes Aug. 29,
Mema's Crafts anything goes with a twist of red, closes Aug. 31,
Paper Playtime polka dots + a sentiment, closes Aug. 31,
Polka Doodles stitching real or faux, closes Sept. 2,
Stamp And Create stitch it up, closes Sept. 2,
Crafting For All Seasons stitching real or faux, closes Sept. 5,
Clearly iStamp circles, closes Sept. 6,



7 comments:

Karen Letchworth said...

Barb: What a treat to visit your sweet blog and see this adorable card you have made to share with us in this week's challenge at Word Art Wednesday. We're so blessed to have you join us, and I really hope we will have the pleasure of seeing more of your work. Have a great week, and thanks for sharing!
Blessings,
Karen L
Word Art Wednesday

Wendy Swenne said...

Beautiful card! Love the image, the colors, the flowers. Everything is just perfect.

Thanks so much for sharing your art with us on WAW.

Have a blessed day!

Wendy

Mema's Crafts said...

First of all I am jealous of all the beauty that you get to enjoy any morning you choose. Love the photos.
Your card is pretty gorgeous as well. I love the polka dots and the image is a cutie. Thanks for sharing your talent with us at Mema's Crafts.

SAHLERS said...

Great card thanks for joining in at Divas by Design
-sheryl-

Jan said...

This is great thanks for joining us at CFAS xx Jan

Claire Phillips said...

Thanks so much for playing along at Polka Doodles in our stitching challenge. Cheers Claire x

Kate said...

Your photos are AMAZING, Barb!! And how incredible it must be to get Snowbirds tours from your yard! I'm glad it was a picture-heavy post. I delighted in seeing all those photos!
What a sweet card, too. The digi is adorable and I love the doodling that you've done.