Picture

Picture

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Abby's Christmas Ornaments

Every year for Abby's birthday, she turns 2 soon, I make some ornaments to match her birthday theme. We have to have the tree up, it's a live tree, so I try to incorporate it into the party decorations. This years theme is Hot Chocolate. I made these mugs as decorations. I saw the idea here. I bought some small mugs at Winners/HomeSense. I used watered down brown craft paint to coat the insides. I used kraft paper for the insides and painted the top of it with the same brown craft paint. I glue gunned some white pom poms to the top. I didn't want to completely cover the top in 'marshmallows' because I wanted you to be able to see the 'hot chocolate' inside. I added a small candy cane and some red grosgrain ribbon as ties.
My lessons learned: My mugs were still too heavy even though they were small. I think they would have to be plastic but I searched high and low and couldn't find plastic mugs. I even considered the plastic tea cups in little girls play sets but none of them were clear. Plastic punch bowl glasses would be ideal. Didn't find any of those either. The paint also softened the kraft paper so maybe a light cardboard or a brown cardstock would work better. They look really great, but they are hung so far back on the tree branch (because they are so heavy) that they are hard to see on the tree.
 
I would like to share my ornaments at:
The Sisterhood of Crafters Christmas challenge, closes Dec. 25,
Try it on Tuesday anything goes, closes Dec. 26,
Sparkles Forum Challenges anything but a Christmas card, closes Jan. 15

4 comments:

Darlene said...

These are SO CLEVER and look so real! Great job! Your children are ADORABLE ... bet it's fun at your house for Christmas morning!!
Thanks so much for joining us at The Sisterhood ‘CHRISTMAS’ challenge and please come back again soon!

Darlene
one of the 'Sistahs'
DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS

TannyP said...

Those are so sweet (almost as cute as the girls!) Great idea - thanks for playing along with the Sisterhood of Crafters Christmas Challenge!

shaz earl said...

Brilliant idea!

Thank you for joining us at Sparkles for our "Anything but a Christmas card" Challenge

Hope you will join us again soon, good luck in the draw

Shaz x

Jacq said...

Hi,
Oh these are just Absolutely Fabulous!!!! Love these scrumptious little ornaments. Thanks for joining us at Sparkles Forum and Good Luck. Hope to see you joining us again.
Hugs Jacqui xxx