Picture

Picture

Saturday, November 10, 2012

A Winter Craft

I promised the girls that on the first snow day I had a special craft planned for us. Well today we woke up to snow, and lots of it. It snowed all day today in fact. However I was supposed to go to town for lunch. So naturally our craft did not go smoothly. First I used a Silhouette cut file to cut the hanger and leotard out of black and pink vinyl. However, the vinyl did not stick to the canvas. Then we tried cutting them out of black and pink cardstock, which I ran through my Xyron sticker maker. That seemed to help stick them to the canvas. I painted Kaylee's palm with pink Tempra paint and stuck it down onto the canvas. When we lifted her hand, the leotard came up with it. Arrrgh. I sent Kaylee in to wash and painted Abby's hand. I stuck Abby's hand down and her leotard lifted up too. Kaylee came back clean so I sent Kaylee to help Abby wash while I tried to stick the leotards back down. They both came back clean so I painted each of their other hands, stuck them down, and went with them to wash. That's when I found my good hand towel with hot pink paint on it. I now had a 1/2 hour before I had to leave for town, was not ready, and still had to paint their hands again with the light pink paint. It was then that I called in reinforcements. Grandma and Grandpa were supposed to be coming to babysit so I called and asked how soon they could get here. They came right away. Grandpa was put in the bathroom to help with hand washing. Grandma was given the task of trying to rinse the paint out of my hand towel. I painted the girls hands with light pink acrylic paint because I didn't have any other colors of Tempra paint. I made it town on time. When I got home, I added some ribbon around the waists. I then used Elmer's Craft Bond foam glue to try and stick the leotards and hangers down better. That also seemed to work. Once the girls got up from naps, Kaylee suggested adding flowers. I let them choose their colors and used the Elmer's Glue to stick them on as well. It was then I decided I should also stick the ribbon down. I used small pieces of Skor-Tape under the ribbon behind the flowers. I think I have now used every adhesive imaginable on this craft ;o) I used a paint pen to write the girls names under their dresses. On the back we wrote the date and their ages. They sure look great!!!

3 comments:

nnalorac said...

What a cute idea Barb. Carolxx

Houses Built of Cards said...

Hi Barb! These are darling! And...I don't know if you noticed a week ago - but you were the winner of the stamp set from the My Craft Spot New Release Hop! I need your mailing info so we can get your prize out to you! Here is the post where you were announced as the winner: http://housesbuiltofcards.blogspot.com/2012/11/merry-christmas-trees-and-winner.html

Thanks!
housesbuiltofcards@gmail.com
www.housesbuiltofcards.blogspot.com

Ina G said...

They are fabulous Barb and what a great idea.