Picture

Picture

Thursday, September 22, 2011

In Sympathy

My brother-in-law's Mom passed away so I wanted to make this card for them. She was 67 and while she was sick, it was very sudden. How do you send and say everything you want to a grieving family in a card? I don't know, but for me the answer is to make one. At least I can send a little piece of homemade, handmade care (I hope). My SIL and BIL and niece and nephew all love my scrapbooks (course they're featured fairly prominently in them) so even though I've just started card making I thought they might like one.
I used a free digital image that I got from May Brit's blog. It was an image she created in memory of the victims in Norway and thought it made a beautiful image for a sympathy card. I printed it directly onto the card and then used my Coluzzle circle cutter and swivel knife to cut a partial circle around the image. I then used a craft knife to cut around the inside of the circle and image inside it. I colored the image using my EK Success Memory Pencils (pencil crayons). Blue was her favorite color, so I made the candle blue. She was also very allergic to flowers but pink was another of her favorite colors, so I made the roses pink. I used double sided tape to adhere the pearl ribbon and the lace. I punched 3 pink butterfliens and 1 blue from cardstock. She had 3 girls and 1 boy (my BIL). I also punched 4 butterflies from a shiny vellum I had and put that right on top of the cardstock to mute it a bit and add some softness. I used embroidery floss to sew them onto the lace. I handwrote the sentiments.
My lesson learned: I still don't know a good adhesive for ribbon and now lace. I tried the AC permanenent adhesive roller and that didn't work. The double sided tape works but only for awhile. The search continues....
I have shared this card at Pollycraft's, Flutterby's, and at Sugar Creek Hollow (if anyone knows how to best adhere lacy embellishments it should be someone there!).

6 comments:

Heide said...

Hi Barb,
First of all... I am so sorry to hear of your family's loss. Your stunning card should bring them some comfort and I am sure they know how much love you are sending their way.
Your card is just lovely and I like how you have cut out around the candle.
Tape...I use tape to keep my ribbon in place. I cut the ribbon to wrap around the back of my card layer, about a 1/2 inch. I than tape it in place and when I put the card together you never see the tape and my ribbon and lace stays put. I also use score tape, it is very strong and comes in different sizes. Good luck with you adhesive search.
Thank you for joining us at SCH.
Hugs, Heide

Michelle VP said...

So sad to hear of your BIL's loss. I'm sure he'll appreciate the heartfelt sentiment in your handmade card. It's lovely and I like the cut-out circle around the candle. I'm so happy you entered it at Flutterby Wednesday. :)

Sharon Basel said...

What a beautiful and meaningful card. Your design is gorgeous and the pearls encircling the candle are like a beautiful halo. Thanks for joining us at Sugar Creek Hollow!

Danni said...

Such a beautiful card, so sorry for the loss.
Thank you for playing along with my flutter by challenge!

Jen Shults said...

So pretty! I'm so sorry for your loss. Thanks for joining this week's Flutterby challenge!

Debbie said...

This is perfect for a sympathy card. So Pretty!